Saturday, September 13, 2008

Bad kitty mama


I love my pets! I've only had Bo-bo for about a month, but I've had my sweet cat, Aria, for over a year. Both are darling and have very different personalities. Aria has this funny habit of meeting me at the door and many times will scurry out into the hallway of my apartment complex. Usually she runs back in or I get her to run back in by essentially shoo-ing her back into my apartment.

Well, today, I came inside after grocery shopping and quickly shut the door behind me without thinking. I proceeded to put away my newly-bought food items and then pulled out some treats I purchased for Aria. I started shaking the bag and calling her name. Just the sound of shaking treats in the bag will get her to run to me, but nothing was happening. I kept calling her name when there was a sudden knock on the door. I answered it and it was neighbor asking, "Is this cat yours?" I looked down the hall and a VERY freaked out Aria (she had what my friend refers to as "fat tail" when her tail is all puffed up from fear usually) and as soon as she saw my open door came running at full speed into the apartment and immediately under my bed. I felt horrible!! I didn't even realize she was missing yet. My neighbor said she was outside her apartment crying and whining. Poor thing. I felt like such a lousy owner.

This has taught me two things:

1. To double check that all animals are safely in my home after I open the door before closing it behind me.

2. To put name tags on Aria. I have her microchipped and since she is an indoor only cat I thought that was enough (and she manages to ALWAYS pull off collars that I attempt to put on her) but it looks like it's a good idea to have a collar with I.D. on her just in case....I love her way too much to lose her.

So...that's my story.

No comments: