Wednesday, June 4, 2008

My hot dog stand affair...


Downtown Denver is a funny and interesting place--you have the regular business folk roaming about, several homeless people panhandling on the busy corners and of course....hot dog stands....on every corner it seems. Well, there is a particular hot dog stand just a few blocks from my office that I seem to walk by quite a bit. It's owned by an Eastern European gentleman with a heavy accent---he has dark hair and a bushy salt & pepper mustache.

First off let's put out there that I don't particularly like attention from strange European gentleman, especially if they seem somewhat creepy and are old enough to be my dad...but this guy seems to have taken a "liking" to me and always says something to me as I go by. I try to look the other way and seem preoccupied, but it doesn't work. So, *sigh* I just smile back and say hello.

He usually compliments me, "How beautiful you look today" in his Russian sounding accent (although I think he might be Ukrainian?) or is just plain friendly. I don't know what my deal is, but a part of me hates that he insists on talking to me each time I walk past, but the other part of me is quite flattered by his notice. It seems funny to me, but in a way it reminds me of how I am a part of this community in the beautiful "Mile High City". I haven't been a part of a community in a long time it seems. And, it's nice.

No comments: