Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Did you know


that Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) can cause canker sores? And guess what? SLS is in pretty much every freaking toothpaste! How fabulous! What's even more fun is that people with braces (like me at the moment) get lots more canker sores because of the the orthodontic appliances in our mouths that can be abrasive on the soft tissues in the mouth. What fun! And then, we have to brush our teeth a zillion times a day and that lovely toothpaste contributes to all the canker sores! Wahoo! So much fun.

Seriously, though, what a painful annoyance. I finally found a toothpaste that doesn't contain SLS, but it wasn't easy. Some version of Sensodyne (be careful, some Sensodyne toothpastes DO contain SLS---so be wary of it if you are prone to cankers.)

And for those who don't know---canker sores are NOT a form of Herpes. That is cold sores. Canker sores are just painful little "ulcers" only found in the mouth (cold sores are always OUTSIDE the mouth) and are NOT contagious, like cold sores. Just had to clarify that. Here's some proof. (click on the link) And for any hot men that may be reading this and had consider kissing me at some point---don't worry, I'm safe to kiss ;)

Anyway, I have probably had at least one canker in my mouth the entire process of wearing braces, with maybe a short break in between without them. I am so glad I know that my stupid toothpaste is contributing to them, because they hurt like a MOFO.

In happier thoughts---yay for this weekend! I'm heading to Cheyenne to spend time with the fam. Everyone will be there--5 siblings, 4 in-laws, 11 nieces & nephews and two dogs--so I think it will be entertaining at least---fabulous at best. However, I have decided not to discuss religion or politics. Safer that way.

I will be sure to post pictures after the reunion--

Until then,

N

No comments: