Sunday, January 18, 2009

Moving on

Yep, the day is approaching--technically I am in two leases right now--one with my old apartment until January 31st and one with my new apartment as of January 17th. Now, its just a matter of moving all my stuff from my old apartment into my new one.

Moved about 10 boxes yesterday--but really, that was NOTHING. I can't believe how much crap I've accumulated. I will let out a long sigh of relief once this move is over.

It's been stressful with starting DU AND the moving thing, but DU is going pretty well! Lucky for me I am not the only math clueless woman in my two math classes and think I might actually come out of this class with a B. Good times.

Now back to the moving. With all this changing of location I have come to realize what I will miss about my old apartment/neighborhood.

1. The nail salon across the street with the nice, but slightly overly-personal Vietnamese nail technicians---they do a great job, but oftentimes like to point out my foot-flaws: "Oh, nail too short--why nail so short? You bite?"

No, I DON'T bite my toenails, eew.

2. The proximity to work and downtown. 25 minutes WALKING to work or 10 minutes by bus/car. Can't beat that

3. The random dog biscuits consistently left on the bus bench for the delight of dog-walker's pooches as they pass by. Classic.

4. The neighborhood pet store boutique/Metaphysical store. Seriously, what an odd combination---but it WORKS---love that store---love that I can buy some Reiki-charged candles to meditate with and a box of kibble. Classic.

5. The proximity to Cheeseman Park--like 6 blocks away! It is wonderful in summer to take Bo-Bo on a short walk to such a beautiful area.

Now, for the reality check---What I WON'T miss about my apartment/neighborhood:

1. The fact that I can hear people peeing and or showering as I walk down the hallway.

2. The fact that I have to turn off certain lights in my apartment when running the microwave in order to prevent shorting a fuse. Seriously!

3. I'm all for historical aspects---but these 1930s dated sinks in the bathroom are a pain in the you know what. They have separate hot and cold water faucets---total hassle to wash your face with.

4. The constantly leaking bathtub faucet

5. The fact that it's a freaking studio! Enough! I need space to breathe!!!!

So--looking forward to Saturday when the folks are coming down (and a couple of my brothers) to move all the BIG stuff so I can get the heck out of this darn apartment and into my new one-bedroom. Yay!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

i wanted to write and thank you for your words. i have received a lot of kind words from people i don't even know. i am grateful.
your grandmother sounds like a wonderful woman.
thank you for sharing your thoughts and love.
leslie *

The Little's said...

Good luck with the move! I can't wait to see pics of the new place!