Monday, November 17, 2008

The Truth About Juice...


So this morning I am confronted, albeit kindly, by one of my co-workers in regards to the juice we stock at the office. We have been stocking cans of juice rather than the plastic bottles we used to have and my previously mentioned co-worker insists that the "new juice" is actually chocked full of sugar and carbs whereas the other juice we carried was not.

I start to think to myself..."I know the juice is the same...nothing is added to it" but I still follow him back to the beverages in the kitchen. We open the door to the plethora of drinks and he pulls out a grape juice. He immediatiatley points to the carbs, sugars, etc. listed on the bottle. I smile to myself and point at the ingredients list: Filtered Water, Grape Juice Concentrate, Absorbic Acid (Vitamin C) and some Calcium additive.

Obviously, it was just as I thought--same as the others--NO added sugar. It's surprising to me how little people know about nutrition and the contents of what they put in their own bodies. I was naive for awhile, too, but now make an effort to be aware of these things. Juice is full of natural sugars--sometimes more than soda...


So here is some information about the juices we drink--might as well give the kids a soda for all the sugar you're putting into them: (Click on the link!)

Juice Facts Website

Kind of shocking actually--but it's all fact. Something to think about.

1 comment:

The Highland Hill's said...

Unfortunately, Absorbic Acid is the worse thing for you...its a false sense of something there...when it actually means "false shell"...you don't actually get vitamin c...

plus there is a huge difference between natural sugars which occur in fruits and added sugar that pop adds...

I would recommend anything sold at a Health Food Store...why shop anywhere else...