Sunday, November 23, 2008

Of Mishaps and Hauntings

A few things of note this week--well of interest I think.

Of Mishaps:


One evening this week I was preparing to meditate as I do each evening. Before I do so I usually light some candles and read my intention card that gives me some focus while I meditate. I usually light the candles first, read the card and then place it near the lighted candles and go off to a corner of my room to meditate with my mantra beads (mala). Well, this time I lit the candles, read my card and proceeded to put the card back by the candles, but at the same time a picture I have behind the candles (of an angel) fell down on top of the candles---I grabbed it in time so it did not catch on fire, but in the next moment my intention card fell down on the candles as well and caught on fire. I started blowing it out and finally it went out, but only after a small portion of it burned--

I'm not sure why I'm including this mishap in my blog, but it made me laugh--when you're trying to do something to better yourself and on a spiritual level and then something like a card catching on fire interrupts it--well, it just made me laugh.

It reminded me of the time when I was at Young Women's Camp ages ago and we were having a testimony meeting (a meeting where you can stand up and bear your testimony about the truthfulness of the church). Anyway, we all had candles during this meeting and some of the girls were holding Kleenexes under them to catch the drippings. Well, while some girl was bearing her testimony one of my table mate's candles was down to almost the wick and then suddenly the Kleenex underneath the candle caught on fire. In shock, she just placed the lit Kleenex (to our dismay) on the table we were sitting at. Well, the fire kept getting bigger and bigger--the Kleenex totally engulfed in flames at this point. Finally, my friend Kimball jumped up on the table and stamped it out--in the middle of someone's testimony. It was shocking and hilarious all in the same moment.

But I digress...

Now the Haunting portion:



Yesterday, as I was waiting in my apartment for my parents to arrive (we were going to my niece's and nephew's piano recital) I suddenly heard what can only be referred to as a "disembodied voice" that said, "Help me." It sounded like a woman in distress and was eerie to say the least. My first reaction was to walk outside into the hallway to see if one of my neighbors had said it and needed help. I even leaned against one of the apartment doors to see if I could hear anything. Nothing. So, my next thought was--it must be a ghost (don't laugh!) but seriously--I couldn't think of anything else. No t.v.'s were blasting, no radios were in the background--nothing else made sense to me. Besides, last week my puppy, Beau literally was barking at nothing--but only at one focused spot. He doesn't bark for no reason at all so I thought maybe he saw something I couldn't. So I "smudged" the room with some sage and said a prayer to clear the room of any spirits that were lingering behind (laugh, if you want, but I believe in this stuff) and then he stopped. My conclusion is maybe my apartment complex is haunted? Or was haunted? Anyway, I would be interested in hearing others "paranormal experiences"--just leave it on the comments below this post. I'm sure we'd all be interested--I know I am.

1 comment:

The Little's said...

It was a mistake for me to read this post at 2:30am...But, the mishap with the candle was funny...ghost experience, not so much. I'm a HUGE wimp when it comes to stuff like that!