Monday, October 19, 2009

I am haunted by waters....

Came across this quote (above) again the other day.  It's from the novella, "A River Runs Through It"  that inspired the famous movie with the same title (think Brad Pitt).

If you haven't read this story, you should.  It's relatively short and so beautifully written.  I have a place in my heart for elegantly structured sentences and a well-woven story and this short book provides just that.

Anyway, I wanted to share my favorite few sentences of the book so I have listed them below.  Not sure why they touch me so much, but they do.

Enjoy:




Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world’s great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

 I am haunted by waters.


– Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

No comments: