Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Facebook---


So, I think Facebook can be a good thing or a bad thing---depending upon how often you use it and for what purposes.

Last week, I found out how it can be a bad thing--not for me specifically, but for my friends.

So, I have two friends (not JUST two friends, but you know what I mean)---both of whom I met in L.A. and at the time were BFF's with each other--born and raised in the same town, grew-up together, blah blah blah.

Long story short--a few years ago they had a horrible falling out. Horrible---with one friend taking an extreme turn into a Witch with a 'B' towards the other---let's name them "M" and "A"---so A became the big "B" towards M (man this is going to get confusing)

Okay...so anyway...fast forward to last week. They haven't spoken in years. The last words between them were horrible and mean emails (mostly from A to M) but now with Facebook they can kinda spy on each other. However, since they are not "friends" on Facebook they don't send messages to one another.

Unless...someone like myself posts a comment to which an answer is appropriate---and M responds to my comment to which A (both of them are my friends on FB, but not eachother's as I mentioned) decides this is her big opportunity to let "M" have it.

And she did.

Suddenly there is a crazy comment to my comment aimed at M--full on. It went something like this:

"M, you're such a poser! Why haven't you given me back my champagne flutes from my wedding? Why are you holding on to them! I can't believe that you did that. You were a lousy maid of honor and a lousy friend, too."

Wow. When I saw that up on my profile page I just froze. Do I delete it and hope M never saw it? Do I write to M to warn her? So, I just deleted the whole thing and hoped nothing would happen.

I was wrong.

A emails me apologizing, but saying she had to let the "whole world" know how awful M is. I respond nonchalantly as I don't want to stir up anything.

However, later that night when M see's the email with the comment on it from Facebook (FB sends you status updates if you want) she calls me, twice, and leaves a message while crying.

Good Lord.

I call her back to console her--but this is crazy. And sad. I have to admit, I am on M's side...A is behaving like a teenager and she's 35!

Whatever.

Just a warning, though, FB can be dangerous.

1 comment:

The Little's said...

I see how Facebook can be good or bad. Really...are these women 12? I hope they, mostly A, will get over themselves. It's sad that a person occupies their time hating someone else. What a terrible burden to carry around.