Friday, June 19, 2009

Natural Solutions


So last week I saw my shrink and we discussed transitioning off my anti-depressant/anti-anxiety meds. As most people who know me know, I have been dealing with my Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and depression for a good chunk of my life. Meds have been a huge help, but the reality is, in my opinion, that medicine like this tend to mask the symptoms so you never really heal from what you are suffering from.

I have been diligent with seeing a great therapist for years now and have had some major breakthroughs and have healed a lot. However, when you are biologically prone to depression and anxiety, it seems to make sense to stay on some kind of support (medicine).

Luckily, my doctor is a holistic psychiatrist and stresses using natural options and less prescription drugs. That said, I am going to start taking EMPower Plus, which is a strong complex of vitamins, amino acids, etc. that has been shown to work as well as if not better than some medications. And, most importantly, it supports the body in a natural way meaning no side effects. It was initially created by a family who had several members suffering from Bi-Polar Disorder. They didn't want to go on prescription drugs (like Lithium, which is commonly prescribed for that disorder) so they researched what natural options were out there for treating the disorder.

Long story short, they created this complex (EMPowerplus) and since it worked so well for them, they began marketing it to others. It's been studied a ton at this point, and although marketed and made specifically for Bi-Polar disorder; it has been found to be profoundly helpful for depression and even anxiety.

So I will be gradually weaning off my Cymbalta and onto EMPower Plus. I'm really happy about it actually--I am all about natural products.

Anyway,I wanted to post this up on my blog because I know some people who read this may have friends, family members who suffer from depression or anxiety. And, maybe, they will know there are alternatives to regular prescription drugs. On that note, I also use a blue-light that simulates sunlight's POSITIVE affects that has helped me during winter months. I use it just 60 minutes a day at my desk at work and it's been great. Boosts your mood and everything. Also, fish oil is a huge helper with boosting your mood--take it daily and buy quailty products--not the cheap stuff on sale. I use Ultimate Omega by Nordic Naturals.

Okay, that's it. Have a great weekend!

No comments: